The Golden Compass


The Golden Compass is a book I read about ten years ago, way back in Elementary or Middle School. While it is marketed for young adults I would suggest that it is an adult novel with a child character, and therefore, the audience is large and blurred in its demographic.

The Golden Compass follows Lyra and her daemon Pan, on an adventure to the North to rescue her fellow friends who have been kidnapped and to, ultimately, change destiny. This book is great because it is set in an alternate version of our life in regard to politics, education, social class and religion. So while this book is a page turner for children and adults alike, it also provides a large metaphorical universe for the college student to puzzle over.

Not only is it a fun read, it is also an intriguing and fast one as well. I would recommend it to even the busiest college student, especially one that needs to escape from the problems of this world, if only for a little bit.

Stats: This book is just over 400 pages.
Rating: An involving read for even the busiest college student.

4 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to read this for ages! Seeing this post just makes me want to read it more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot about this book but never read it, I should get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I graduate, this will be one of the first novels I read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! The movie did not live up to my expectations, though. :(

    ReplyDelete