A lot of college students may be familiar with this book through middle or high school required reading, but for those of you who have not read this book, consider it. The genre is young adult, but this text deals with a lot of adult issues as well as the number one issue for young adults: self identity and exploration. Set in New York this novel follows a gang through a series of life altering changes all in one week.
If you’re a fast reader and like a surprise this is what I’d recommend. Check the book out from the library, read it (it won’t take too long), then, if you want a mind boggle, look up the author’s bio. Reading about the author will alter how you view the book.
Stats: This book is around 150 pages and easy to read, but reflects real-life issues.
Rating: An easy read for the thoughtful college student.

The Outsiders is one of my all time favorites. I re-read this book every few years.
ReplyDeleteWhile I am a strong advocate for books over movies, I also love the movie version of this one. Baby Rob Lowe and baby Matt Dillon! You can't go wrong. Also, the late great Patrick Swayze and a whole gang of other famous people as tweens.
-Kacie
I LOVED this book when I read it way back when, and I think it's timeless because of the way it so precisely identifies a universal emotion: "outsiderness."
ReplyDeleteI enjoy your concise reviews, but you might consider deepening them a bit, by either giving us a bit more about the book (some key quotes perhaps? in the case of this one, tell us about the author bio that will boggle our minds?) and/or allowing the theme of the book to trigger some kind of personal story or philosophy. These wouldn't have to be long, but they would add more "personality" to your posts.
Thanks that's a great idea. I'll keep that in mind for my next post.
ReplyDelete